- 5 1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 to 3 cups brown sugar (depending on the sweetness of apples used)
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, spices and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with an immersion blender, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Process in a water bath canner 10 minutes for half pints, 15 minutes for pints.
TIP: I normally start this in the evening after dinner and let it cook, on low, all night. In the morning uncover, blend to desired smoothness, cook with lid off until desired thickness. Sometimes this step may take longer depending on humidity and type of apples used.